Friday, February 24, 2012

Broken Dishes Quilt Top


I completed the top last weekend.  I find that making one doll quilt a month is something that I can try to shoot for.  Better still if Kathy's choosing these quilts.  That way I don't have to make those all important decisions!


Broken Dishes Quilt Top.  Designer: Kathleen Tracy.  Book: The Prairie Children & Their Quilts. Size: 15 1/2" x 18 1/2"
Pattern: JJ by Burda (free pattern)
 

I get a kick over my seam treatments, really loving the neat look.  Quite a bit if work on the Hong Kong seam finishes since there are usually more seams to bind when it's a princess seam blouse. The hem with a bias binding is my first. Much easier to work with especially when your hems curve.  Also it is best to use a narrow hem with curved shapes.  About the stand collar I feel that it should be a 1/8" wider, but there's no turning back now.  The fit is good but it'll look better if I lose my tummy!

I'm loving all these sewing stuff.  I really intend to take it up a notch.  So I enrolled in Gretchen Hirsh's The Starlet Suit Jacket and Kenneth D. King's Jean-ius! on Craftsy.  Like Susan Khalje, their really good teachers and watching these videos demystify couture sewing.  And the technique tips? PRICELESS!  To add to my education I ordered Claire's Shaeffer's Couture Sewing Techniques the bible for couture sewing. 

 Mary Kathryn was having a Superbowl sale and I couldn't resist getting my hands on Garden Club.  The applique blocks are huge!   If I ever get serious with applique I'll reduce the blocks for sure.  I won the Primitive Quilts magazine when Cheri was having a giveaway some weeks back.  I rarely am so lucky.  That's Cheri's design on the cover!

Cheri even signed on the page of her design! 


Some stuff for stitchery from Bird Brain Designs.  Love those little hangers.  They'll come in handy when displaying some tiny quilts, I'm sure.  And the Vogue pattern finally got here too.

7 comments:

  1. you are really impressing me with the couture sewing~! i love the look of that blouse.

    you know i still haven't received my spring issue of primitive quilts and projects . . . gave them a call last week and they said "be patient" . . .

    the broken dishes doll quilt is cute. broken dishes happens to be one of my all time favorite quilt patterns.
    you must have quite the collection of finished doll quilts now. how do you display yours?

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:22 pm

    Omg, the finishing on the JJ blouse is IMMACULATE. Books look good ;-)
    JessW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Broken Dishes quilt. I love this pattern but haven't started yet. I might miss the March quilt and work on February. But I am also still finishing January. Story of my life!
    Blackbird designs has some lovely patterns. I have my eye on a pomegranate design which I think is one of theirs.
    You are really extending yourself with your garment sewing. The results are impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dressmaking skills are improving very well Barbara, I too used to love adding bits of colour inside collars - I used to make a lot of men's shirts - and cuffs etc, oh! those were the days LOL!!!
    The Broken Dishes quilt is very pretty, love that plaid border! Lots of other nice goodies to play with too I see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that Broken Dishes quilt--so pretty! Your shirt turned out very nice--the little splash of red really kicks it up a notch! Congratulations on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable little quilt Barbara!!
    Wow, the blouse is so pretty and so professional!! I bet it looks gorgeous on!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made the right decision on your doll quilt!! Lovely blouse, well done! Happy sewing, hugs, Daniëlle

    ReplyDelete