Monday, April 23, 2012

A little bit of everything

I suppose I may be spreading myself too thin sometimes.  But as they say 'variety' is the spice of life!  It keeps those grey cells churning :)

Blessing Baskets Quilt Top.  Designer: Temecula Quilt Co. (freebie)  Size: 17" square
 I am trying out utility stitching on the April Challenge Quilt by Kathleen Tracy.  There was some discussion in the group about using utility stitches to quilt these doll quilts.  Crow Footing / Fly Stitch, Mennonite Tack etc were discussed.  I found a blog post here that gives some simple explanation of these stitches.  Also another member of the group was explaining how she uses the cheapest flannel she can find as batting for her quilts.  So I gave that a try too.  Cheap flannels imported from China can be got easily here in KL.

Close-up of Crow Footing / Fly Stitch
I used Perle Cotton No. 8 in DMC 414.  These big stitch concept sure is my cup of tea, since it quilts pretty fast.  I finished quilting this quilt in one sitting. Although the quilting on flannel doesn't give the puffed up look that we love, it sure wins on drapability!  I use the hera marker to mark my grids.  I can't eyeball for nuts.

I just got one block done out of two for the Craftsy April BOM.  I may make another but I will wait for the other blocks to complete to see how the quilt is arranged.

I managed to squeeze another knit blouse from the left over fabrics.  This time I used Loretti 5922.  I did make a few changes of increasing the side seams, lengthening the torso and sleeves to 3/4 sleeves.  No facing were used for the neckline.  This fitted me better and I can see myself improving on the pattern some more.

A couple of nighties.  Easy peasy ;)

I also purchased a couple of cotton applique from this Etsy dealer.  Some grosgrain ribbon for waist stay or maybe for trimmings.
I am almost finishing the Quilt Sampler by LHN.  I enjoyed stitching on it again.  I was listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin while stitching.  BTW a very thought provoking piece of literature. I cried, I got angry, I got disgusted ... phew ...  I am now slowly catching up on reading these classics. I have never appreciated books in my school days or in my youth.  Reading was a drag ... what more classical literature!

 I made this tofu dish for lunch yesterday.  Easy and tasty.  You can get the recipe here.

 That's a wrap for now.  Thank you all for coming by my humble cyber abode.

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Piecing Work

I played with a couple of charm packs by Aneela Hoey i.e. Sherbert Pips and Little Apples for Moda.    Although I don't do cute, this is an exception.  Can't tell you why, but I've just got quite taken by her illustrations.  After the Little Apples pillow cover I embroidered, I've been hankering to embroider more of her illustrations.  I may include them into the quilt or I may not, we'll have to see ...

Charm packs with white muslin

 It's coming along ... quite a bit of piecing involved but straight forward.  I'm following a pattern found here.  Another similar pattern which I like is a free signature block on Craftsy.  It's Charleston 1850 quilt pattern by Jean Ann Wright.  If I make it it'll be way smaller and finished into a doll quilt.

Size:  64" x 53".  Blueberry Crumb Cake charm pack with Kona Natural
 I've got all the borders sewn for this Pinwheel quilt using a Blueberry Crumb Cake charm pack.  I can't link to the tutorial, unfortunately the author has deleted her blog.

 Here's a pincushion that I've been wanting to make for ages.  I finally got down to it, more because of the embarrassment of holding on to Jess' magazine for so long ...  It's from Australian Homespun The Go Green Issue.  The pattern is by Anni Downs. If I have the inclination I might perch Sue Spargo's bird on top of the sphere!  EPP for the hexagons were more fun than I thought.  There's some prep to do for sure but when you get to stitching the pieces together ... quite relaxing.  I read in a tutorial a while back that when stitching hexagons together, easier to do them in rows.

The stitchery was divine.  I am using DMC threads instead of the recommended over-dyed ones.  I intend to give the 2 stitchery pieces a tea bath to mottle the muslin.  I won't be doing the applique panels, it'll be replaced with plain wool instead.  More assembly pics as I progress.