I was sewing the hem of my first pair of shorts and it didn't meet up too well, creating a small fold.
I figured this is because I sewed the side seams and inseams prior to the hem. Now I am adopting the following i.e. sew the side seams, hem and then sew the inseams. Less grief this way. Also I've reduced the hem to like 5/8".
For 2 pairs of the shorts, I've used french seams and the other two pairs will be taken to the shop this evening to be serged. I was hesitant initially to use french seams, since they don't normally quite work with curves for the crotch seams, since it was only a slight curve I thought I'd give it a try. Quite like it actually, not to mention saving me a trip to the shop! What's left are the elastic waist band and I'll be done :)
I've been toying with using flannel as a filler for my place mat and after much discussion on SQT, it may not be the best filler depending on your expectations as hand quilted stitches may not look good. So as they say 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'. I've been quilting simple outlines of the hearts ... so far it looks not too shabby, we'll see how it behaves after a wash.